Pageviews

Friday 5 November 2010

My top 5 software/apps

There are undobuteldy hundreds of free software and apps, some good, some bad. These are my top 5 that deserve Recognition.





1. The 'Graphics' Pack.
GIMP, Blender,Inkscape. Combined, I think this deserves a rightful place in my top 5. As an alternative to PS, I had already expressed my love for GIMP, and being a Blender user from Windows, I was thrilled to discover its Ubuntu compatibilities. Look herehere, and here for more info and downloads.



2. Compiz Advanced Settings
This is really recommended if you have a decent enough PC and want some more eye-candy for your Desktop Environment. Providing such features as the 3D cube and reflections, not to mention the paint screen on fire, this is definately one of my favourites.
Can be found in Synaptic.




3. Urban Terror
A game needs to be in my top 5 of course. This game is a mere stab at Counterstrike using the Quake 3 Arena engine. Its a lot of fun and only 700mb in size. If you're not looking for a hardcore gaming storyline and just no spills thrills fun on-line game-play: look no further. You can download it here







4. Wine.
If the open source free software isn't quite good enough for you whimsy windows users, then look no further. Capable of running fully blown windows software is the best for any post-windows user that wants the best he can get on Ubuntu, several games and apps are compatible, from Microsoft word to Unreal Tournament to Spotify. Download it from Synaptic.






5. Virtualbox.
This is possibly my most favourite piece of software available on Ubuntu. Capable of running any OS from any OS, it provides an error free way of trialing OS's without dual booting or trialing on Live CD's. If your PC is powerful it can be a more...permanent option too. Can be found in Software Centre,



Other things I liked that could've made my top 5:
Docky
Gmail Checker
Emerald
ATI Cataylst
QCAD
Shotwell
Chrome
Ubuntu One
Cheese
RecordMyDesktop
Furius ISO
Skype
SUPERTUXKART!!!!!




Thanks,
             Harry


UPDATE:
Some of my own screenshots :)

2 comments:

ryanmc said...

i think this is a great post!
useful for people who are starting to use linux/ubuntu :)
could you go into more depth about Emerald, Shotwell and Cheese?
Thanks!

Unknown said...

I'll repost tomorrow, thanks!